Fairy Doll, Create Your Own, VermontFairies
Mini I Spy Bags, Trucks and Cars, TheCraftingCorner
Toy Rings, NoonToTwo
Marbled Heart Crayons, GooseHillDesigns
Jovial Jester, blueshedcrafts
As parents and concerned citizens I’m sure most of us at one time or another have been confronted with the question of lead poisoning. But have you asked yourself what your government is doing to protect your children from lead contained in toys? The answer? They're banning toys, taking books from schools and libraries, hurting low income families, killing entrepreneurial spirit and risk putting the economy in an even greater depression than we've seen in decades. I'd like to introduce you to their solution: the CPSIA.
Do you know about the CPSIA?
CPSIA stands for Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, a new set of laws that will come into effect on 10 February, 2009 and will impact many, many people in a negative way. Make no mistake, this is very real. View it for yourself. If Forbes, the American Library Association and numerous other media are paying attention, perhaps you should too.
How will these new laws affect you? Well, here are a few examples:
- Due to the new law, expect to see the cost of school supplies sky rocket.
- Due to the new law, all children's books will be pulled from library and school shelves, as there is no exemption for them.
- To the Lover of All Things Handmade, due to the new law, most handmade toys will be nonexistent due to the costly testing that each piece will have to undertake putting most small entrepreneurs of children's items out of business.
- Due to the new law, all items in non-compliance will now be dumped into our already overflowing landfills.
- For the secondhand shopper, many resale shops are eliminating children's items all together to avoid future lawsuits.
- For the toy collector, due to the new law, you'd better start buying now because it's all going to private collection and will no longer be available to purchase. “Because the new rules apply retroactively, toys and clothes already on the shelf will have to be thrown out if they aren't certified as safe.” http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123189645948879745.html
Already struggling under an economy that hasn’t been this weak in decades, the American economy will be hit harder with the inevitable loss of jobs and revenues from suppliers, small businesses and consumers. The required testing is far too costly and restrictive for small businesses or individuals to undertake.
To the Worldwide Economy:
Due to this new law, many foreign manufacturers have already pulled out of the US market. You can imagine the impact of this on their businesses.
If you think this is exaggerating, here is a recent article from Forbes
And for those of you prepared to be stupefied and boggled, The New Law
Did you know? If this upsets or alarms you, please react.